The community organizer plays a vital outreach role at events and in the communities around Átl’ḵa7tsem / Howe Sound. They are the public face of the organization, and will work directly with My Sea to Sky's partners and volunteers.
The goal of this 8-week project is to engage in public outreach on behalf of My Sea to Sky, by clearly identifying outreach opportunities, recruiting and coordinating new and existing volunteers, and participating at outreach events over the summer.
This position reports directly to the Campaign Coordinator of My Sea to Sky.
- 30-35 hours per week for 8 weeks
- Four to five day work week schedule including evenings and weekends
- $24 per hour plus benefits
- 6% leave loading
- $300 annual home office allowance
- Professional development budget
- Start date in June 2023
- Work closely with the Campaign Coordinator to identify outreach opportunities to help meet the organization's needs, and create outreach materials to engage the public.
- Lead local organizing efforts, including door-knocking, tabling, and call-banking.
- Recruit new volunteers, run volunteer training, and identify opportunities to deepen volunteer engagement and leadership in the campaign.
- Coordinate My Sea to Sky volunteers for specific outreach activities, such as doorknocking, events, and farmer's markets.
- Maintain records of volunteers and supporters, including contact information and volunteer history.
Required skills and experience
- Experience coordinating teams of volunteers and building volunteer capacity.
- Able to work autonomously on a range of tasks, and take the intiative to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening).
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate positive relationships with a diverse range of people.
- Capacity to inspire and motivate others.
- Trustworthy, reliable, able to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity.
- Computer literate (websites, e-communications, Slack, Zoom, Google docs, etc.).
- Passionate about the environment and social change.
- Friendly, self-motivated, patient, and professional.
- Organized, creative, and resourceful.
- Willingness to learn through reflection, evaluation, and by giving and receiving feedback.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with implementing in person/on the ground tactics including door-knocking
- Experience using data management software
Position requires your own:
- Computer with internet
- Cell phone
Funding for this position is provided by the Canada Summer Jobs program. Candidates must be:
- between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
At My Sea to Sky we know our capacity to win is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We encourage applicants from a diversity of genders, cultures, languages, and experiences to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of Indigenous people, people of colour, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. We encourage applicants from a diversity of genders, cultures, languages, and experiences to apply.
Many skills are transferable and passion goes a long way. If you feel you have a good handle on many of the skills listed above—but not all—please do still consider applying. We are prepared to adapt this role and train where needed for the right person.
To apply, please submit a brief resume documenting your experience and qualifications relevant to this role; and a brief letter detailing how you meet the qualities we are looking for and why you would be the best person for this role (no more than 2 pages).
Submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 9.00 pm, Sunday 4th June 2023.